Following are few of the proposed modifications to the FSSAI (Labelling & Display) Regulations:
- Definition of ‘nutrient’ for declaring the nutritional information is provided;
- The method of calculation of the nutrients is provided;
- The symbol for declaring vegetarian food is proposed to be modified to a green triangle rather than the green circle;
- All food material not meant for human consumption shall also bear a logo in the manner provided in the Regulations;
- Date of manufacture or packaging and Expiry/Use by shall have to be declared on the label and expression “Best before” may be used as optional or additional information;
- Date and time of manufacture shall have to be declared on packed meals served in airlines/railways/mobile catering units;
- Format for per serve contribution of energy, total fat, trans fat, total sugar and salt, is provided;
- The block(s) of nutrient(s) for “High Fat, Sugar and Salt” (HFSS) food shall be coloured ‘RED’;
- The name of the food, veg/ non-veg declaration and the per serve contribution of energy, total fat, trans fat, total sugar and salt, shall be declared on the front of the pack.
*The contents hereof should not be construed as legal opinion. This provides general information existing at the time of preparation and is intended as a news update and ANB Legal neither assumes nor accepts any responsibility for any loss arising to any person acting or refraining from acting as a result of any material contained herein. It is recommended that professional advice be taken based on the specific facts and circumstances. The contents hereof do not substitute the need to refer to the original pronouncements.